Course Introduction Slides
(last updated: Sep 23, 2002)
Course Description in MS-Word
(to be uploaded!)
What are the goals of this course?
- To learn from the masters (invited speakers) experiences and research
- To help graduate students have a broader view on the various research
and technical topics in computer science so as to invigorate their
interests and to catalyze their efforts in producing commendable works
in their respective fields of research
There will be three kinds of talks:
Doctoral Student Presentations:
- Invited Talks by Great Masters of our age
- Invited Talks by Academic Scholars and Industry Experts
- Talks by Doctoral Students of our department
- All presentations are encouraged to be given in English.
- Three presentations will be assigned for each class allocated for
- Each presentation will be allocated 25 minutes, plus 5 minutes for Q&A,
similar to a presentation at an international conference.
- The order of presentations will be notified at the start of semester,
with a preliminary schedule, which is subjected to change based on the
available time slots of invited speakers.
- A class that becomes free due to the unavailability of an invited talk,
will be allocated dynamically for doctoral student presentations.
|First Report||October 31, 2002||30%
|Second Report||November 30, 2002||30%
|Third Report||December 31, 2002||30%
|Class Q&A Participation||During each class||10%
- A student will earn 5 bonus points for each good question posed to
an invited speaker.
- An absentee will be deducted 5 points from his semester score for each
- An English presentation by a doctorate student will earn 20 bonus points.
- E-mail submission: TA will be assigned
- PDF file formats: viewable, printable
- Report format:
- A4 page size: min: 1 page, max: 3 pages
- Title: talk title, speaker name, date of talk
- Author: your name, reg. number, lab room number, phone extension
- Content format: no restriction (recommended: paper format)
Do we have any RULES?
- NO COPYING of review reports! A mere copy of the speakers' slide contents
will not render you any points for that report!
- Class Attendance:
- 1 absence ==> Deduct 5%
- 2 absence ==> Deduct 10%
- n absence ==> Deduct 5n%
- Attendance rolls will be taken at the START of class!
- Late comers will be marked as ABSENT!!!
- Late Reports will NOT be accepted!!!